A bodyguard or close protection officer (CPO) is a security operative or sometimes a government agent hired to protect a person or persons. The people who normally hire bodyguards are wealthy individuals, political figures and sometimes the general public.
In some cases companies or individuals also hire bodyguards to protect valuable assets. Celebrities are also hire bodyguards to escorts them when they travel or and perform their day to day tasks. High profile individuals or families are often guarded by a team of CPO's whereas less important public persons or those that are lower risk usually have a single bodyguard and they normally double as a driver.
Assets and people are protected against general danger elements including theft, assault, kidnapping, homicide, homicide, threats or loss of confidential information.
Bodyguarding involves a variety of responsibilities and is dependent on your level as a CPO and off course the requirements of your client. Some of the responsibilities include:
- Escorting clients in their day to day activities
- Driver Bodyguards are responsible for safely transporting their clients
- Searching buildings and areas for high risk items such as weapons or bugging devices
- Protection of high profile children and persons against kidnapping
- Assisting celebrities by dealing with photographers and stalkers
Daily tasks and assignments generally include route planning, travelling, transferring clients into vehicles and transporting them, searching buildings, people and areas, setting up of secure locations, staying in close proximity to your client and any other security services the client may need.